Terms of Reference
Key Remote Sensing Calibration Vocabulary
- Traceability: http://nist.gov/traceability/suppl_matls_for_nist_policy_rev.cfm
- Accuracy (Legacy usage): ref.2 workshop reports - See below.
- Accuracy (SI usage): http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html
- Uncertainty (SI usage): http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html
Publications of International Standards Organization (SI)
International Vocabulary of Metrology – Basic and General Concepts and Associated Terms VIM, 3rd edition, Joint
Committee on Guides to Metrology (JCGM) 200:2008
http://www.bipm.org/en/publications/guides/vim.html This 3rd edition cancels and replaces the 2nd edition, 1993.This 3rd edition is also published as ISO Guide 99 by ISO (ISO/IEC Guide 99-12:2007 International Vocabulary of Metrology – Basic and General Concepts and Associated Terms, VIM).
See also: Corrigendum (May 2010)
The fundamental reference document is the Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement (GUM): JCGM
100:2008 (GUM 1995 with minor corrections)
Evaluation of measurement data – Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement)
The JCGM Working Group 1 (JCGM-WG1) is producing a series of documents to accompany the GUM. The first three of these documents have been approved and are available for download as PDF files. Printed copies are available for purchase from ISO.
2.1 Evaluation of measurement data – An introduction to the "Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement" and related documents JCGM 104:2009
http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents /jcgm/JCGM_104_2009_E.pdf 2.2 Evaluation of measurement data – Supplement 1 to the "Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement" – Propagation of distributions using a Monte Carlo method JCGM 101:2008
http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/ jcgm/JCGM_101_2008_E.pdf 2.3 Evaluation of measurement data – Supplement 2 to the "Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement" – Extension to any number of output quantities JCGM 102:2011
http://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents /jcgm/JCGM_102_2011_E.pdf 2.4 News from the JCGM-WG1 2.5 Software related to GUM Supplement 1, named NPLUnc and NPLUnc (open source)
Publications from National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) on Measurement Methodology, Uncertainty Analysis and SI Traceability for Remote Sensing
Guide to Measurement Uncertainty Analysis (GUM):
- R. V. Datla, R. Kessel, A. W. Smith, R. N. Kacker and D. B. Pollock, “Uncertainty analysis of remote sensing optical
sensor data: guiding principles to achieve metrological consistency” , Int. J. Remote Sensing, 31,
No.4, 867-880 (2010)
http://www.tandf.co.uk/ journals DOI: 10.1080/01431160902897882
- D. B. Pollock, T. L. Murdock, R. U. Datla, “Data uncertainty traced to SI units. Results reported in the International System of Units”, Int. J. Remote Sensing, 24, 225-235 (1999) http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals DOI: 10.1080/014311601110113188
- R. U. Datla, J. P. Rice, K. R. Lykke, and B. C. Johnson, “Best practice guidelines for pre-launch characterization and calibration of instruments for passive optical remote sensing”, J. Res. Natl. Stand. Technol. 116, No. 2 (2011) http://www.nist.gov/jres
NIST Radiometric Standards Literature
- J.M. Houston and J.P. Rice, “NIST reference cryogenic radiometer designed for versatile performance,” Metrologia 43 , S31-S35 (2006).
- S. W. Brown, G. P. Eppeldauer, J. P. Rice, J. Zhang, and K. R. Lykke, “Spectral Irradiance and Radiance Responsivity Calibrations using Uniform Sources (SIRCUS) facility at NIST,” Proc. SPIE 5542, 363-374 (2004).
- G.P. Eppeldauer, J.P. Rice, J. Zhang, and K.R. Lykke, “Spectral irradiance responsivity measurements between 1 µm and 5 µm,” Proc. SPIE 5543, 248-257 (2004).
- H. W. Yoon, D. W. Allen, C. E. Gibson, M. Litorja, R. D. Saunders, S. W. Brown, G. P. Eppeldauer, K. R. Lykke, “Thermodynamic-temperature Determinations of the Ag and Au Freezing Temperatures using a Detector-based Radiation Thermometer,” Appl. Opt. 46, 2870-2880 (2007).
- S. W. Brown and B. C. Johnson, “Development of a portable integrating sphere source for the Earth Observing System’s calibration validation programme,” Int. J. Remote Sensing 24, 215-224 (2003).
- P. Shaw, U. Arp, R. D. Saunders, D. Shin, H. W. Yoon, C. E. Gibson, Z. Li, A. C. Parr, and K. R. Lykke, “Synchrotron radiation – based irradiance calibration from 200 to 400 nm at the synchrotron ultraviolet radiation facility III,” Appl. Opt. 46, 25-35 (2007).
- B. W. Mangum, G. T. Furukawa, K. G. Kreider, C. W. Meyer, D. C. Ripple, G. F. Strouse, L. Tew, M. R. Moldover, B. C. Johnson, H. W. Yoon, C. E. Gibson, and R. D. Saunders, “The Kelvin and Temperature Measurements,” J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. 106 (1), 105-149 (2001).
- A. Thompson and E. A. Early, “Portable high-accuracy double spectrometer for ultraviolet spectral irradiance measurements,” Proc. SPIE 3818, 46-55 (1999).
- Thompson, E. A. Early, and T. R. O’Brian, “Ultraviolet spectral irradiance scale comparison: 210 nm to 300 nm,” J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. 103, 1-13 (1998).
- K. Lantz, P. Disterhoft, E. Early, A. Thompson, J. DeLuisi, J. Berndt, L. Harison, P. Kiedron, J. Ehramjian, G. Bernhard, L. Cabasug, J. Robertson, W. Mou, T. Taylor, J. Slusser, D. Bigelow, B. Durham, G. Janson, D. Hayes, M. Beaubien, A. Beaubien, “The 1997 North American interagency intercomparison of ultraviolet spectroradiometers including narrowband filter radiometers,” J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. 107, 19-62 (2002).
- E. A. Early, B. C. Bush, S. W. Brown, D. W. Allen, B. C. Johnson, “Radiometric calibration of the Scripps Earth Polychromatic Imaging Camera,” Proc. SPIE 4483, 77-84 (2002).
- C. Johnson, J. B. Fowler, and C. L. Cromer, The SeaWiFS Transfer Radiometer (SXR),NASA Tech. Memo. 1998-206892, Vol. 1, S. B. Hooker and E. R. Firestone, Eds., NASA Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Maryland, 58 pp.
- J. P. Rice, and B. C. Johnson, “The NIST EOS thermal-infrared transfer radiometer,” Metrologia 35, 505-509 (1998).
- J. B. Fowler, “A third generation water bath based blackbody source,” J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. 100, 591-599 (1995).
- S.W. Brown, J.P. Rice, J.E. Neira, R. Bousquet, and B.C. Johnson, “Hyperspectral image projector for advanced sensor characterization,” Proc. SPIE 6296, 629602 (2006).
NOAA, NIST and NASA Organized Workshop Reports for climate
- G. Ohring, B. Wielicki, R. Spencer, W. J. Emery, and R. Datla, “Satellite instrument calibration for measuring global
climate change”, NIST publication NISTIR 7047 (2004)
- Related article; R. Datla W. J. Emery, G. Ohring, R. Spencer and B. Wielicki, “Stability and Accuracy requirements for satellite remote sensing instrumentation for global climate Change monitoring”, Proc.of the International Conference radiometric and geometric calibration, Gulfport, Mississippi, USA,-Morain & Budge (eds); Taylor& Francis Publishers (London) p 17 (2004)
- G. Ohring et al, “Achieving satellite instrument calibration for global climate change (ASIC3)”, NOAA
- C. Cooksey and R. Datla, “Workshop on bridging satellite climate data gaps”, J. Res. Natl. Stand. Technol. 116, No. 1, (2011) http://www.nist.gov/jres
Specific Remote Sensing Calibration Related Publications from NASA, NOAA, NIST and others in the Literature
- J. J. Butler, B. C. Johnson, and R.A. Barnes, “The calibration and characterization of Earth remote sensing environmental monitoring instruments,” in Optical Radiometry, Experimental Methods in the Physical Sciences Vol. 41, A. C. Parr, R. U. Datla, and J. L. Gardner, eds., Elsevier Academic Press, Chapter 10 (2005) .
- D. C. Tobin, H. E. Revercomb, R. O. Knuteson, F. A. Best, W. L. Smith, N. N. Ciganovich, R. G. Dedecker, Dutcher, Steven; Ellington, Scott D.; Garcia, Raymond K.; Howell, H. Benjamin; LaPorte, Daniel D.; Mango, Stephen A.; Pagano, Thomas S.; Taylor, Joe K.; van Delst, Paul; Vinson, Kenneth H. and Werner, Mark W. “Radiometric and spectral validation of Atmospheric Infrared Sounder observations with the aircraft-based Scanning High-Resolution Interferometer Sounder,” J. Geophys. Res., 111, D9 (2006).
- S. W. Brown, B. Myers, R. A. Barnes, and J. P. Rice, “Characterization of earth observing satellite instruments for response to spectrally and spatially variable scenes,” Proc. SPIE 6677, 667705 (2007).
- C. Cao and A. Heidinger, “Inter-comparison of thye longwave infrared channels of MODIS and AVHRR/NOAA-16 using simultaneous nadir observations at orbit intersections, Proc. SPIE 4814, 306-316 (2002).
- S. W. Brown, B. C. Johnson, S. F. Biggar, E. F. Zalewski, J. Cooper, P. Hajek, E. Hildum, P. Grant, R. A. Barnes, and J. J. Butler, “Radiometric validation of NASA’s Ames Research Center’s Sensor Calibration Laboratory,” Appl. Opt. 44, 6426-6443 (2005).
- J. J. Butler, B. C. Johnson, S. W. Brown, D. W. Allen, E. A. Early, S. F. Biggar, E. F. Zalewski, B. L.Markham, E. Kaita, J. W. Cooper, S. Schiller, G. Meister, D. f. Heath, P. Hajek, J. Marketon, G. Smith, and R. A. Barnes, “Radiometric measurement comparisons at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center,” in preparation.
- D. W. Allen, G. P. Eppeldauer, S. W. Brown, E. A. Early, B. C. Johnson, and K. R. Lykke, “Calibration and characterization of trap detector filter radiometers,” Proc. SPIE 5151, 471-479 (2003).
- J. J. Butler, S. J. Janz, B. C. Johnson, R. D. Saunders, J. W. Cooper, M. G. Kowalewski, and R. Barnes, “Calibration of a radiance standard for the NPP/OMPS instrument,” Proc. SPIE 7106, 71060Z-1 to 71060Z-10 (2008).
- B. C. Johnson, S. W. Brown, G. P. Eppeldauer, and K. R. Lykke, “System-level calibration of a transfer radiometer used to validate EOS radiance scales,” Int. J. Remote Sensing 24, 339-356 (2003).
- B. L. Markham, J. S. Schafer, F. M. Wood, P. W. Dabney, and J. J. Butler, “Monitoring large-aperture spherical integrating sources with a portable radiometer during satellite instrument calibration,” Metrologia 35, 643-648 (1998).
- R. A. Barnes, R. E. Eplee, Jr., G. M. Schmidt, F. S. Patt, and C. R. McClain, ‘The calibration of SeaWiFS. I. Direct techniques,” Appl. Opt. 40, 6682-6700 (2000).
- R. E. Aplee, W. D. Robinson, S. W. bailey, D. K. Clark, P. J. Werdell, M. Wang, R. A. Barnes and C. R. McClain, “Calibration of SeaWiFS II. Vicarious techniques,” Appl. Opt. 40, 6701-6718 (2000).
- R. A. Barnes and E. F. Zalewski, “Reflectance –based calibration of SeaWiFS. II. Conversion to Radiance,” Appl. Opt. 42, 1648–1660 (2003).
- G. Meister, P. Abel, R. Barnes, J. Cooper, C. Davis, G. Fargion, R. Frouin, M. Godin, D. Korwan, R. Maffione, C. McClain, S. McLean, D. Menzies, A. Poteau, J. Robertson, and J. Sherman, “Comparison of spectral radiance calibrations at oceanographic and atmospheric research laboratories,” Metrologia 40, S93-S96 (2003).
- S. W. Brown, B. C. Johnson, and H. W. Yoon, “Description of a portable spectroradiometer to validate EOS radiance scales in the shortwave infrared,” The Earth Observer 10 (3), 43-48 (1998).
- J. J. Butler and R. A. Barnes, “The use of transfer radiometers in validating the visible to shortwave infrared calibrations of radiance sources used by instruments in NASA’s Earth Observing System,” Metrologia 40, S70-S77 (2003).
- J. J. Butler, B. C. Johnson, S. W. Brown, H. W. Yoon, R. A. Barnes, B. L. Markham, S. F. Biggar, E. F. Zalewski, P. R. Spyak, J. W. Cooper, F. Sakuma, “Radiometric measurement comparisons using transfer radiometers in support of the calibration of NASA’s Earth Observing System (EOS) sensors,” Proc. SPIE. 3870, 180-192 (1999).
- J. P. Rice, S. C. Bender, W.H. Atkins, and F.J. Lovas “Deployment test of the NIST EOS thermal-infrared transfer radiometer,” Int. J. Remote Sensing 24, 367-388 (2003).
- J. J. Butler, B. C. Johnson, and R. A. Barnes, “Radiometric measurement comparisons at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center: Part I. The GSFC sphere sources,” The Earth Observer 14 (3), 3-8 (2002).
- J. J. Butler, B. C. Johnson, and R. A. Barnes, “Radiometric measurement comparisons at NASA;s Goddard Space Flight Center: Part II. Irradiance lamp comparisons and the NIST sphere source,” The Earth Observer 14 (4), 25-29 (2002).
- Xiong, X., K. Chiang, J. Esposito, B. Guenther, and W. Barnes, “MODIS On-Orbit Calibration and Characterization,” Metrologia 40(1), 89-92, (2003).
- Xiong, X., and W.L. Barnes, “An Overview of MODIS radiometric calibration and characterization,” Adv. Atmos. Sci. 23(1), 69-79, (2006).
- Xiong, X., J. Sun, and W. Barnes, “Inter-comparison of On-orbit Calibration Consistency Between Terra and Aqua MODIS Reflective Solar Bands Using the Moon,” IEEE Geosci. Remote Sens. Let. 5(4), 778-782, (2008).
- J. P. Rice, J. J. Butler, B. C. Johnson, P. J. Minnett, K. A. Mailet, T. J. Nightingale, S. J. Hook, A. Abtahi, C. J. Donlon, and I. J. Barton, “ The Miami 2001 Infrared Radiometer Calibration and Intercomparison. Part I: Laboratory Characterization of Blackbody Targets,” J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 21, 258 – 267 (2001).
- C. J. Donlon, T. Nightingale, L. Fiedler, G. Fisher, D. Baldwin, and I. S. Robinson, “The calibration and intercalibration of sea-going infrared radiometer systems using a low cost blackbody cavity,” J. Atmos. Oceanic Technol. 16, 1183-1197 (1999).
- R. A. Barnes, R. E. Eplee, Jr., F. S. Patt, H. H. Kieffer, T. C. Stone, G. Meister, J. J. Butler, and C. R. McClain, “Comparison of SeaWiFS measurements of the moon with the ROLO model, Appl. Opt. 43, 5838-5854 (2004).
- T. C. Stone and H. H. Kieffer, “Assessment of uncertainty in ROLO lunar irradiance for on-orbit calibration,” Proc. SPIE 5542, 300-310 (2004).
- H. H. Kieffer and T. C. Stone, “The spectral irradiance of the moon,” Astronomy. J. 129, 2887-2901 (2005).